Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What's next, no dads?

I was getting some laundry going this morning when I overheard on the news a story on hospitals preventing people from taking videos or pictures of their baby's birth. A pit formed in my stomach as I took in how grieved I would feel had we not been able to record our daughter's birth. The pit turned to rage very quickly; what's next? A dad or partner might see something happen during the birth, will they be banned from the delivery room as well so that the hospital can cover its ass?


I wish I could find the link to the news story, but it was just a two minute clip; I did Google "no cameras in delivery room" and came upon a deluge of hospital policies and opinion columns on the matter. What do you think about this? I'm outraged, but I always feel like I'm the only one in an uproar about any of this.

We had Lydia at Sanford Hospital in Luverne, MN, and we were able to take as many pictures as we wanted. Our dear family friend Lani captured Lydia's arrival in all its gorey glory, and I love looking through the photos remembering her entrance into the world. I had wanted to do a video, but pictures serve their purpose well. They're beautiful, and it's my hope that other families would have their opportunities to have their hearts swell with pride to have pictures of their births, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment